Taken from Food.com
Everyone has different things they stick on their Christmas dinner. This year we wanted to try something different, and was told about this recipe. As it is cooked in the slow cooker, i could cook this in advance and freeze it ready for christmas day, saving me time. Plus it provides a very festive smell in the kitchen :)
Spiced Red Cabbage and Apple
Ingredients: Serves 4 - 8
- 1 red cabbage - shredded
- 2 large onions - diced
- 2 large apples or 2 large pears - finely chopped and diced but NOT peeled
- 2 garlic cloves - finely diced
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt & pepper for seasoning (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 ounce butter
* Ingredients have been halved to those shown on Food.com*
- Remove outer leaves of the red cabbage and cut into quarters. Cut out the middle root and shred the quarters very finely. Place in a bowl.
- Core the apples and cut into quarters, then dice them and set aside in another bowl.
- Peel and dice the onions and then place into a bowl and set aside. Measure out all other ingredients.
- Start layering the ingredients: Red cabbage, then salt & pepper; Apples, onions & garlic, then the spices & brown sugar;keep layering this way until everything has been used up.
- Dot the top of the red cabbage with the butter and pour over the red wine vinegar.
- Season once more with salt & pepper and cook for 6 to 12 hours on High in the crockpot, until everything has broken down, is soft and it is a rich red colour.
- For conventional cooking - cook for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours at 180 C or 360°F I.
- It can be cooked on the stove top too; takes about 2 - 3 hours on a low heat, just a slow simmer.
- Pears can be used as well, and I sometimes add a handful of cranberries for a really festive touch!
Recipe and instructions taken from Food. com. Full Recipe can be found here