I discovered something the other day, something i am really annoyed that i did not find before! Home made fudge... not any home made fudge though.... slow cooker home made fudge! With 4 weeks left until christmas i am getting busy preparing chocolates and biscuits, the christmas cake and all the other yummy items for the festive period. Fudge is a firm favourite in my house but i usually just buy a box of the good stuff as a treat.
As you can see this is not my recipe but it worked so well i wanted to share. You can find more details on Karas Party Ideas
The recipe is quite simple and uses ingredients that most households have in their cupboard.
- 1/2 cup of canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2/12 cups chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Crushed peppermint or candy canes (optional)
- Add chocolate chips, coconut milk, honey and salt to slow cooker and stir until well mixed. Place lid on and cook on low for 2 hours without stirring. Its important that the lid is not removed during these 2 hours no matter how tempted you are to sniff the mixture :D
- After 2 hours, turn your slow cooker off and remove the lid. Add vanilla extract and stir until well mixed. Keep the lid off and leave to cool for approx 1 hour until the fudge is room temperature. Once it is room temp stir again until the fudge is no longer a glossy colour.
- Spray a dish with frylight or some sort of non stick cooking spray. Pour the fudge into your dish, cover and put in the fridge for 4 hours. If you want peppermint added to the fudge, add crushed peppermint to the fudge after 3 hours and put back in fridge.
- Once the 4 hours is up, remove from the fridge and cut into portions. It should make around 30 pieces.
Karas Party Ideas explains this in alot more detail and has many other fantastic cheap ideas so its worth popping by and having a look. Homemade fudge makes fantastic gifts and perfect for hampers. Simply put into a jar or a box and add some ribbon or a pretty tag (use some ribbon and an old card if your feeling extra frugal)