Did anyone use the Morrisons meat vouchers when they were out? I made the mistake of sending the hubby out to buy some meat, he come home with 6 packs of steak! I am not a fan of beef but it is coming up to winter warmer meals so off the the freezer they went. Nosing around the freezer for a meal, i figured i may as well use some of it and made a steak and mushroom pie.
Ingredients: Feeds 4 with a little bit left over
- 3 steaks cut into chunks (could use chunks of beef to save time)
- Gravy (i made my own i will give the recipe below)
- 1 red onion - chunky slices
- Mushrooms - to taste, i used 6
- Salt and pepper to taste
- seasoning - i used 2 tsp of mixed herbs
- 1 egg - beaten to brush on pastry (optional)
- Pastry - You can cheat and use a roll of jus- roll pastry.
To make the pastry:
Rather than list it all here is the site i use if i need to find a recipe quick. I made puff pastry but shortcrust or filo work just as well. here is the puff pastry recipe i used.
To make the gravy:
I am trying to follow slimming worlds plan so i made this syn free version. Instead of listing it, here is a handy video i found on youtube. (i left out the onions as i had onions already prepared)
- Prepare the gravy.
- Prepare the steak, onion and mushroom. Season and brown the steak off and then add the onion and mushroom to the pan.
- Once gravy is done, add the steak onion and mushrooms to the gravy and stir. Leave to simmer for a little if you wish to thicken it up.
- Place into the dish you will use to cook the pie and add salt and pepper if wanted
- Prepare the pastry and place over the dish. Cut some air holes if you wish and if wanted brush a beaten egg over the pastry.
- Cook for around 30-45 mins on 200 or until pastry is crispy and golden in colour.
Here is mine after it come out the oven - please excuse the shadow, i had to use my phone.
Total cost to make was just 92p. I have 2 small steaks left over which i will use for the next days lunch - cheese and steak subs, yum! and a little bit of pie left over which the hubby will happily munch his way through. Had i used mash instead this may have worked out cheaper, but i had a random bag of hash browns to use up. If i had brought the pastry or more expensive steak, this pie would have cost around £1.80 to make, which is still quite cheap considering the size and the amount of filling in it.