It uses the 2 basic stitches for the majority of the purse making this perfect for beginners. The button hole personally is optional and only if you want to use a button to finish.
This super easy purse took me around an hour to make. I could have finished it quicker but i was busy watching tv.
As much as i would love to claim this cute pattern as my own... i did find it on the internet. With thanks to www.redheart.com
I'm debating about whether to add a button or not. I might just to add some finish to it.
This is the purse open. Plenty of room for some loose change or some hair clips.
- Needles - i used size 6 needles
- Wool - I'm not sure of the make but its off cuts of a DK yarn i was using.
- Stitch markers - optional but are useful
- A sewing needle/ tapestry needle.
The whole purse is in stockinette stitch. For those that do not know what this is i have write this below.
Row 1 - (right side) Knit
Row 2 - (wrong side) Purl.
- Cast on 19 stitches.
- Knit 2 rows and then work in stockinette stitch until your work is around 20cms long. End on a right stitch row (Knit stitch) If you are using markers, place one at each end of the last row. This will form the body of the purse.
To make the flap
- Knit next row (wrong side)
- Buttonhole row - optional: Knit 7 then knit 2 together, yarn over twice , knit 2 together then knit 8 stitches. If you do not want a buttonhole then continue in knit stitch.
- Next row - Knit to yarn overs. Knit the first yarn over through the front and second yarn over through the back. Continue the rest of the row in knit stitch.
- Knit one full row
- Bind off knitwise.
To join together:
- Fold in half up to your markers and using the tapestry needle and matching wool, join the edges together. I actually turned mine inside out, sewed the edges up and turned it outside back to give a nice finish at the end.
- If you added a button hole, add a button onto your work directly opposite your buttonhole.
- Stand back and admire your work :)
As i am visual and work very well with videos guiding me, i have linked up a couple of fab videos i used when i was picking up knitting again.
Yarn over twice